Nothing says cycling like a big fat burger, right? (uh, yeah…right, Tim)
So it follows that nothing says riding in the rain like a big Costco-sized bottle of ketchup-turned buddy flap (mud flap)!
I had big plans to make some fancy Rivendell-style tweed/leather mudflaps, but I went back to my reuse roots. Once I saw the flap-goodness embodied in that giant old ketchup bottle, I don’t know, I just couldn’t sit idly as it was sentenced to the big recycling tub.
Really, it’s win-win: I kept the bottle out of the waste stream for its highest-best use, people riding behind me get a good laugh instead of muddy spray to the face, my bike stays cleaner, and I get to show off some bitchin’ fast-food style.
Here’s how it looks on the bike:
Some good fender resources include:
- Rivendell Fenders and Flaps
- Bike Hugger on Buddy Flaps
- Kent Peterson‘s Coroplast Fender page
- Alex Wetmore‘s Fender /Flap Page
- Velo Orange’s Honjo-Koken and VO hammered/polished aluminum offerings
- Sheldon on Fenders
- Sheldon’s Fender Nuts
- River City Bikes Reacharound brackets (for putting fenders on your tight-clearanced roadie)
- and so on (I’ll add some more here as I dig up more of my old resources).